Re: pgsql: Remove the restriction that the relmap must be 512 bytes.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Remove the restriction that the relmap must be 512 bytes.
Date: 2022-07-27 19:17:36
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

>> Hmm, but that doesn't actually produce nice behavior. It just goes
>> into an infinite loop, like this:
>> So now I'm back to being unsure what to do here.

> I vote to go for the catversion bump for now.

What this is showing us is that any form of corruption in the relmapper
file causes very unpleasant behavior. We probably had better do something
about that, independently of this issue.

In the meantime, I still think bumping the file magic number is a better
answer. It won't make the behavior any worse for un-updated code than
it is already.