Re: Export the CREATE TABLE command in pure SQL

From: Damien Clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-gui-dev(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Export the CREATE TABLE command in pure SQL
Date: 2019-03-18 17:37:34
Lists: pgsql-gui-dev

Le 18.03.2019 16:10, Christoph Berg a écrit :
> Re: Damien Clochard 2019-03-17
> <2bc470194b4837c1f733a4e05f569bc6(at)dalibo(dot)info>
>> How do you guys deal with this ? It seems that a lot of GUI tools are
>> able
>> to "export the table structure".... Is there an extension somewhere to
>> do
>> that ? Is it possible to write i in pure SQL ? If yes, there anybody
>> here
>> interested in joining forces to build a shared export function ?
>
> IMHO the cleanest way would be to move all of that into the server.
> There are already functions like pg_getindexdef() which pg_dump can
> (could?) use. But of course that won't fix the problem for existing PG
> versions.

Hi Christoph !

This was also my first thought. MySQL has a nice "SHOW CREATE TABLE"
command and it seems to me that putting this code on the server would be
a benefit for any GUI tools that tries to export tables structure and
probably also for schema versionning tools.

https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/8.0/en/show-create-table.html

I looked at the pg_dump code and tried to build a C extension that would
include the dumputils.h header file. But pg_dump is a client-side tool,
so parts of this code would have to be moved to the server-side. I don't
have the time and knowledge to propose a patch like that by myself. But
if someone is interested, I can help...

> For a medium-term solution, a plpgsql extension (or the client-side
> equivalent) seems like the best way.

Agreed.

Thanks for your answer

--