Re: postgres large database backup

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala(dot)mladen(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postgres large database backup
Date: 2022-12-01 01:03:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 11/30/22 18:19, Hannes Erven wrote:
> You could also use a filesystem that can do atomic snapshots - like ZFS.

Uh, oh. Not so sure about that. Here is a page from the world of the big
O: https://blog.docbert.org/oracle-on-zfs/

However, similar can be said about ZFS. ZFS snapshots will slow down the
I/O considerably. I would definitely prefer snapshots done in hardware
and not in software.  My favorite file systems, depending on the type of
disk, are F2FS and XFS.

--
Mladen Gogala
Database Consultant