Re: [BUGS] BUG #14902: valgrind - problem in PQconnectdb - pqSaveParameterStatus reported

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pavel(dot)bazika(at)kocovnici(dot)cz
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [BUGS] BUG #14902: valgrind - problem in PQconnectdb - pqSaveParameterStatus reported
Date: 2017-11-13 15:23:23
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pavel(dot)bazika(at)kocovnici(dot)cz writes:
> I'm testing my application with helgrind threading error detection tool
> (part of valgrind) and it reports a problem in libpq, when I'm calling
> PQconnectdb from two threads:

It seems to be complaining about the assignments to static_client_encoding
and static_std_strings. I wouldn't worry --- in the first place, those
assignments should be atomic writes (at least on most platforms) and
in the second place, the functionality involved is not guaranteed to
work in any program with more than one PGconn anyway.