ExecAggTransReparent is underdocumented and badly named

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ExecAggTransReparent is underdocumented and badly named
Date: 2023-04-19 18:50:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I wondered at [1] why ExecAggTransReparent doesn't do what you'd
guess from the name, that is reparent a supplied R/W expanded object
under the aggcontext even if it's not there already. I tried to
make it do that, and after I'd finished bandaging my wounds,
I wrote some commentary explaining why that won't work. (Possibly
we knew this at some point, but if so we sure failed to provide
documentation about it.)

I think we should at least apply the attached commentary-only
patch. I wonder though if we should change the name of this
function, and if so to what. Maybe ExecAggCopyTransValue?

regards, tom lane

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2199319.1681662388%40sss.pgh.pa.us

Attachment Content-Type Size
document-ExecAggTransReparent-better.patch text/x-diff 3.9 KB