Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck), Dmitry Samersoff <dms(at)wplus(dot)net>, phd2(at)earthling(dot)net
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)
Date: 1999-06-09 12:23:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 13:34 9/06/99 +0400, you wrote:

>IMHO, It's bad practice to embed Perl, C++ and so on into postgres.
>because it slow down postgres, increase memory requirement
>and amount of leaks and errors.

You can't possibly mean to say Perl is a slow, leaky memory hog! ;-}

Do I detect a conspiracy here? (Oleg?)

>Postgres should use it's own language like plpgsql, and
>it's better to point your mind to improve and speed up it.
>
>For example:
> Add pre-compilation and syntax check while create function
> executed

At least a syntax check...

> Add some string and regex manipulation functions.
> Add exception handling.

These all sound like a good idea.

Jan: If I volunteer to attempt any of these, can you provide advice?

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \
(A.C.N. 008 659 498) | /(@) ______---_
Tel: +61-03-5367 7422 | _________ \