Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6

From: Philip Warner <pjw(at)rhyme(dot)com(dot)au>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>, Bruce Momjian <maillist(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
Date: 1999-06-04 04:13:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Dear All,

It seems to me that there are a bunch of related issues that probably need to be tied together (and forgotten about?):

1. A 'nice' user interface for blobs
2. Text fields stored as blobs
3. Naming issues for 'system' tables etc.
4. pg_dump support for blobs and other 'internal' structures.
5. Blob storage in files Vs. a 'nicer' storage medium.
6. The tuple-size problem(?)

Points (1) & (2) are really the same thing; if you provide a nice interface to blobs: "select len(blob_field) from ...." and "select blob_field from ...", then any discussion of the messiness associated with blobs will go away. Personally, I would hate to lose the ability to store a blob's data using a series of 'lo_write' calls: one system I work on (not in PG) has blob data as large as 24MB which makes blob_write functionality essential.

Points (3) & (4) recognize that there are a number issues floating around that relate to the basic inappropriateness of using SQL to reload the data structures of an existing database. I have only used a few commercial DBs, but the ones I have used uniformly have a 'dump' that produces data files in it's own format. There is no question that having pg_dump produce a schema and/or INSERT statements is nice, but a new option needs to be added to allow raw exports, and a new pg_load utility needs to be written. Cross-version compatibility between export formats must also be maintained (obviously).

Point (5) recognizes that storing 'large' data in the same area that a row is stored in will remove any benefits of clustering, so a method of handling blob data needs to be found, irrespective of whether PG still supports blobs as such. I don't know how PG handles large text fields - some commercial systems allow the user to 'map' specific fields to separate data files. The current system (storing blobs in files) is fine except in so far as it *looks* messy, produces *huge* directories, and is slow for many small blobs (file open/read/close per row).

I don't know anything about the 'tuple-size' problem (point 6), but it may also relate to a solution for storing blob-data (or specific columns) in alternate locations.

I hope this is not all static...

Philip Warner.

Philip Warner | __---_____
Albatross Consulting Pty. Ltd. |----/ - \