creating users

From: Klaas Talsma <kltalsma(at)xs4all(dot)nl>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: creating users
Date: 1998-10-16 07:28:33
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I've just installed postgresq 6.3.2.8 and its running.
however whenever i try to create a user i get the following message:

[postgres(at)gizmo postgres]$ createuser
Connection to database 'template1' failed.
PQexec() -- Request was sent to backend, but backend closed the channel
before responding. This probably means the backend termina.
createuser: database access failed.

i have no idea what is wrong, and i dont seem to be able to find the
solution in the documentation.

I know it is running because a ps grep gives me the following results

[postgres(at)gizmo postgres]$ ps -ax | grep postmaster
13923 ? S 0:00 /usr/bin/postmaster -p 5432 -S -o -F
[postgres(at)gizmo postgres]$

Anyone who had this problem to and know how the fix it, please let me know

Thanks in advance,

Klaas Talsma
kltalsma(at)xs4all(dot)nl
Tel/Fax. 0518 412060
http://www.xs4all.nl/~kltalsma/
ICQ: 20190939

“Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it is very important that you
do it.”
—Mahatma Gandhi.