Re: [HACKERS] gperf anyone?

From: Don Baccus <dhogaza(at)pacifier(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] gperf anyone?
Date: 2000-01-19 18:47:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

At 11:40 PM 1/18/00 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:

>I agree with Don that the performance benefit is likely to be
>unmeasurable. Still, there could be a win: we currently have to modify
>keywords.c by hand every time we have to add/delete a keyword. Does
>gperf offer any aid for maintaining the keyword list? If so, that'd
>be sufficient reason to switch to it...

If so, yeah, it might make sense. Without looking at the existing
code, though, the existing "binary search on a fixed array" makes
me think of a list of keywords in alphabetical order. If true,
entering new keywords in alphabetical order doesn't seem like a terrible
burden on the implementor. The resulting list is probably more readable
if kept alphabetical anyway...

http://donb.photo.net.