Re: equivalent for md5, clobs and varchar2 list

From: George Neuner <gneuner2(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: equivalent for md5, clobs and varchar2 list
Date: 2017-09-14 06:26:12
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, 14 Sep 2017 00:01:09 +0000, Peter Koukoulis
<pkoukoulis(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>is there an equivalent of a odcivarchar2list in PostgreSQL. I'm running the
>code in Oracle 11gr2.
>I know that the equivalent of dbms_crypto. hash( " " ,2) is md5(), but I
>cannot find anything similar to odcivarchar2list?
>I am constrained by not being able to declare types in the database. I am
>using 9.6.3 on Debian.

MD5 would be 'char(34)' - MD5 produces a 32 character result, and
Postrgesql adds a 2 character tag.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/pgcrypto.html

CLOB would be be 'text', or equivalently, 'varchar' without a length
qualifier. Postgresql does not distinguish character LOBs as a
separate type, and 'text' is just shorthand for unlimited 'varchar'.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/datatype-character.html

I had to look up odcivarchar2list - according to the Oracle docs it is
a 'varray(m) of varchar(n)'.

The equivalent in Postgresql would be 'varchar(n)[m]'.
https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/arrays.html

Hope this helps.
George