Re: Temp table or normal table for performance?

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jasen Betts <jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Temp table or normal table for performance?
Date: 2009-08-21 13:13:36
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Jasen Betts<jasen(at)xnet(dot)co(dot)nz> wrote:
> On 2009-08-19, Stephen Cook <sclists(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> Let's say I have a function that needs to collect some data from various
>> tables and process and sort them to be returned to the user.
>
> plpgsql functions don't play well with temp tables IME.
> there are work-arounds and they are ugly. if you caus use a different
> language it could work.
it does on 8.3, prior versions have known flow.

It makes a lot of sense to use TT if you pass a lot of data back and
forth. It makes sense to open transaction, stick data into temp table,
and pass that around. Or even, in some cases, for duration of
connection - instead of storing data in client app.