Re: left join with smaller table or index on (XXX is not null) to avoid upsert

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: left join with smaller table or index on (XXX is not null) to avoid upsert
Date: 2009-01-19 08:22:45
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/1/19 Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>:

> Yes, but what about a table with an update trigger on it that does
> some interesting bit of housekeeping when rows are updated?
exactly, that's another one of reasons why I wouldn't write that patch :P

> It's a prime example of fixing a problem created by not knowing how
> the database works, and creating a possible problem for people who do
> know how it works.

Like I said, I was just daydreaming right after getting out of bed.
Forgive me, also - I do know how it works, but it is interesting to
explore such options sometimes - to learn that the simple design of db
is the best possible :)

--
GJ