Re: left join with smaller table or index on (XXX is not null) to avoid upsert

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: left join with smaller table or index on (XXX is not null) to avoid upsert
Date: 2009-01-19 07:53:02
Lists: pgsql-general

2009/1/19 Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> Submit a patch. :)
>
> But seriously, it's doing what you told it to do. There might be
> corner cases where you need a trigger to fire for a row on change, and
> short-circuiting could cause things to fail in unexpected ways.

as far as my little knowledge about pg goes, that would be just
another addition to planner. <daydreaming> Say - when there's more
than X % of value Y, and we do set column X to Y, it could add that
'where'. But what if we have more WHERE statements, and they are quite
contradictory, etc, etc. It could actually do more damage than good.
(yes, I do have quite few more 'against' than for)</daydreaming>

I wrote that previous email, while waiting for breakfast, so I guess
it wasn't the best idea in the world ;)

--
GJ