Re: Psql wants to use IP6 when connecting to self using tcp...

From: Alan Hodgson <ahodgson(at)lists(dot)simkin(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Psql wants to use IP6 when connecting to self using tcp...
Date: 2021-06-24 00:45:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, 2021-06-23 at 17:25 -0500, Jerry LeVan wrote:

> So the question is: Why does using the short name evidently cause postresql
> to use the ipv6 address
> and using the full name use the ipv4 address?

I'm thinking this might be coming from Avahi, which might be enabled on Fedora
by default. That uses local network broadcasts for name discovery, and is the
only thing I can think of that would result in an fe80:: address showing up in
a name search if you didn't deliberately add it to DNS.

Check /etc/nsswitch.conf and remove anything like mdns4_minimal.

https://fedoramagazine.org/find-systems-easily-lan-mdns/