Re: role self-revocation

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>, Joshua Brindle <joshua(dot)brindle(at)crunchydata(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <mark(dot)dilger(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: role self-revocation
Date: 2022-03-10 19:05:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 09.03.22 14:02, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 7:55 AM Peter Eisentraut
> <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:
>> Do we have subtractive permissions today?
>
> Not in the GRANT/REVOKE sense, I think, but you can put a user in a
> group and then mention that group in pg_hba.conf. And that line might
> be "reject" or whatever.

Well, you can always build an external system that looks at roles and
does nonsensical things with it. But the privilege system itself seems
to be additive only. Personally, I agree with the argument that there
should not be any subtractive permissions. The mental model where
permissions are sort of keys to doors or boxes just doesn't work for that.