floating point output

From: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: floating point output
Date: 2019-09-05 00:23:51
Lists: pgsql-general

I've found the description of floating point types (here
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/10/datatype-numeric.html#DATATYPE-FLOAT>),
but I'm looking for the rationale of the output format, particularly
with respect to total digits presented (variable in a single select's
output) and the dropping of a trailing zero (to some implying a loss of
precision).  Is the code my only guide here?