NUMA settings

From: Marc Rechté <marc4(at)rechte(dot)fr>
To: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: NUMA settings
Date: 2020-04-29 06:54:08
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello,

I am trying to figure out the recommended settings for a PG dedicated
machine regarding NUMA.

I assume that the shared buffers are using Huge Phages only. Please
correct if I am wrong:

1) postgres is started with numactl --interleave=all, in order to spread
memory pages evenly on nodes.
2) wm.swappiness is left to the default 60 value, because Huge Pages
never swap, and we wish the idle backend to be swapped out if necessary.
3) vm.zone_reclaim_mode = 0. I am not sure it is the right choice.
4) kernel.numa_balancing = 1. Only if it is confirmed that it will not
affect postgres, because started with the interleave policy.

Thanks