Re: List types

From: "Selena Deckelmann" <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dave Page" <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: "Magnus Hagander" <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>, pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: List types
Date: 2008-03-05 15:46:52
Lists: pgsql-www

On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 5:05 AM, Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 5, 2008 at 12:55 PM, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net> wrote:
> > What's the difference between "Regional lists" and "User Groups Lists"? I
> > mean, we have persian pug under regional, but sydney and portland under
> > user groups... Should we just merge these?
> >
> > (http://www.postgresql.org/community/lists/)
>
> The PUGs are supposed to be groups working on face to face events etc.
> The Regionals are actually a kind of mix of language and
> region-speciifc content.

Looking over the user group and regional lists, I feel like we need a
new category.

Here's what I propose:

User Groups
* organizing face-to-face meetings, local advocacy. generally
highly-local discussion that is a mix of technical/non-technical

Regional Organization
* larger geographic area, non-profit groups, primarily
non-technical discussion

Language-specific lists
* These follow the model of pgsql-general - providing technical
support and referrals in a specific language: pgsql-es-ayuda,
pgsql-fr-generale and the Persian list *seem* to follow this model.
Alvarro could speak for pgsql-es-ayuda. I *think* pgsql-it-generale
also falls in that category. Gabriele?

Does that division sit well with people? I can offer a patch later on
today for the pages and sidebars.

-selena

--
Selena Deckelmann
PDXPUG - Portland PostgreSQL Users Group