Re: Index Issues & ReIndex

From: Andrew Sukow <creoe(at)shaw(dot)ca>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Index Issues & ReIndex
Date: 2004-08-16 15:24:01
Lists: pgsql-general

Tom,

We have tested our ram, and our previous build has the exact same hardware which is stable but this does not rule out hardware. I lean towards software to the fact that we are only finding the instability in the indexes. The four million rows we write per day are perfectly fine, but just cause huge 6 gig processes randomly from the index being broken down. An hour long reindex usually fixes it until we insert more items.

We do get resulting errors like "root page level 1 expected 3" some times on the index as well. Reindex fixes it.

We're running Gento which was just compiled 1 month ago up to date with a just brand newly compiled C compiler.

Thanks,

Andrew