Postgres warm standby with delay

From: "Ron Watkins" <rwatki(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres warm standby with delay
Date: 2018-05-03 19:20:08
Lists: pgsql-novice

Management wants to have our postgres database server backed-up to a
warm-standby server with an 8-hour delay.

The purpose of the delay is to prevent automatic replication of sql
mistakes, for example, if someone deletes the wrong data or drops a critical
table.

The warm-standby would still have that data for 8 hours to allow time for
recovery.

In addition, they want a way to "stop" the replication on-demand and to
provide a way to catch-up the warm standby to current.

I'm still trying to find a way to even configure a warm standby server.

If anyone has guides or examples of how to setup a warm standby that would
be great.

If anyone knows how to introduce a "lag/delay" into the replication that
would also be great.

Currently, im assuming it has something to do with shipping logs from the
primary to the secondary server, but I just don't know how any of this works
yet.

Any pointers to useful examples would be appreciated.

Ron