Re: Database Insertion commitment

From: Perry Smith <pedz(at)easesoftware(dot)com>
To: Jasbinder Singh Bali <jsbali(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Viatcheslav Kalinin" <vka(at)ipcb(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Database Insertion commitment
Date: 2007-07-09 13:45:15
Lists: pgsql-general

On Jul 9, 2007, at 4:38 AM, Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:

> On 7/9/07, Viatcheslav Kalinin <vka(at)ipcb(dot)net> wrote:
> Jasbinder Singh Bali wrote:
> >
> > One reason I see that new insert does't see the values of old insert
> > is because as soon as socket connection is established, my trigger
> > returns and 1st insert is complete even though I'm not sure whether
> > the unix tools server has already inserted values in table test or
> > not. There might be a time lag based on how fast traceroute returns,
> > though right now its very fast.
> This is most likely it if I understand you scheme right.
>
> Do you see any work around for this?
> Nothing that I could think of.

I did not follow the reason this is happening completely. But,
section 34.2 is titled Visibility of Data Changes (and chapter 34 is
titled Triggers).

If you are inside a transaction, then the trigger should see the data
(according to 34.2). "Network delays" does not seem like a valid
reason this is not working.

My thought is to not use triggers but to use rules. These operate
inside the db engine.

I hope this helps,
Perry Smith ( pedz(at)easesoftware(dot)com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems