table constraints and performance

From: "Brian Maguire" <bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: table constraints and performance
Date: 2003-08-25 17:44:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Could someone provide me with some information in regards to the
performance implications of applying constraints on a table? Are there
any safe guards?

The basic scenario is that there is a table that has 80% updates and
inserts and 20% selects. I would like to restrict duplicate inserts
from user double clicking or other user behavior such as refresh.

I am after advice on what the performance implications would be on
placing restraints on a table vs. writing business logic code.

Thanks,
Brian