PG_XLOG How long to retain

From: Pam Wampler <Pam_Wampler(at)taylorwhite(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PG_XLOG How long to retain
Date: 2002-06-13 18:35:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

Being fairly new to postgresql, I have a couple of questions on pg_xlog
We are on 7.2.1

1. How does one properly administer the pg_xlogs? -- How long to retain
them?
Is it ok to delete them after a period of time? If so, what period of
time?

2. I understand that the numbering scheme does not wrap around -- is there
a way
to set the numbering scheme back to 1? we are still in testing mode,
and our
xlogs are up to:
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 17:03 0000000900000097
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 16:57 0000000900000098
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 16:56 0000000900000099
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 16:56 000000090000009A
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 16:58 000000090000009B
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 16:57 000000090000009C
-rw------- 1 pgsql pgsql 16777216 Jun 12 16:57 000000090000009D

3. There is normally only 7 of these logs on our system -- so I am assuming
that
"something" is deleteing them -- Is there an option to "not" delete
them, until
I want to delete them.

If there is more documentation somewhere on these questions, please point me
there.

Thanks
Pam Wampler