RE: Cache Hit Ratio%

From: <soumik(dot)bhattacharjee(at)kpn(dot)com>
To: <f(dot)pardi(at)portavita(dot)eu>, <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: RE: Cache Hit Ratio%
Date: 2020-07-28 12:49:39
Lists: pgsql-admin

Thanks Fabio for your help.

From: Fabio Pardi <f(dot)pardi(at)portavita(dot)eu>
Sent: dinsdag 28 juli 2020 11:46
To: Bhattacharjee, Soumik <soumik(dot)bhattacharjee(at)kpn(dot)com>; pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org

Depending on your PostgreSQL RAM budget, you might want to increase the shared_buffers in order to be able to fit more in it.

If I were you, I would investigate the matter more in depth, and educate yourself on the subject.

You can get insights using pg_buffercache:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/pgbuffercache.html

When in need, I also use the following query to understand how the buffers are rotating.

select usagecount,count(*),isdirty

from pg_buffercache

group by isdirty,usagecount

order by isdirty,usagecount ;