Re: How to include PostgreSQL Copyright notice

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "patrick k (dot)" <patrick+pgsql(at)pioneerdigital(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to include PostgreSQL Copyright notice
Date: 2002-05-16 03:18:13
Lists: pgsql-general

"patrick k ." <patrick+pgsql(at)pioneerdigital(dot)com> writes:
> There seems to be a slight uncertainty on what and how should our
> software provide all that is required to conform to the
> PostgreSQL (BSD) licensing terms and conditions.

By and large, the BSD license doesn't put *any* requirements on you.
We'd get unhappy if you tried to claim you owned Postgres, but short
of that you can include it in your product without any problem.

> - Is including the COPYRIGHT file from the PostgreSQL sources as
> part of our distribution be:
> + Sufficient?
> + A starting point?

Sufficient, certainly; some would say you needn't do even that.
If you wanted to mention "This product uses PostgreSQL, which you can
learn more about at http://www.postgresql.org/" then everyone would be
happy. You need not do that, but it'd be a polite thing to do.

> - Do we need to have a hardcopy of the contents in COPYRIGHT
> file included with our hardcopy documentation?

Not if you don't want to.

> - Should any of our software display PostgreSQL Copyright
> information:

Not required. The strictest reading of the BSD license is that
the notice has to be present somewhere in your distribution.
Putting it on a splash screen is surely more than is needed.