Re: \copy command

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: dario billo <dario(dot)billo(at)inwind(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: \copy command
Date: 2003-05-16 21:11:37
Lists: pgsql-novice

dario billo <dario(dot)billo(at)inwind(dot)it> writes:
> \.
> ": can't parse "ne 1, pg_atoi: error in "
> lost synchronization with server, resetting connection

Given the funny formatting of the error message, I'd bet you have a
newline problem. COPY does not like anything but Unix-style newlines
(\n only); feeding it Windows-style newlines (\r\n) will lead to
failures like the above.

> why "resetting connection"?

Because there is no other way to recover from a COPY error in the
current FE/BE protocol. (7.4 will improve that situation, but it
will require client-side rewrites to take advantage of the new
protocol...)