Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: "fkater(at)googlemail(dot)com" <fkater(at)googlemail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: libpq: compatibility with server versions
Date: 2010-03-15 15:39:24
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 11:25 AM, fkater(at)googlemail(dot)com
<fkater(at)googlemail(dot)com> wrote:
> May I, the other way round, assume from your reply that
> there is neither a disadvantage nor a compatibility issue
> when I stick to libpq 8.2 (not upgrading to 8.4) but update
> the *server* to 8.4?

The 8.2 client library will speak just fine to 8.4 server. The client
utilities (such as psql, pg_dump, etc) should match version numbers
for best compatibility.

What I'd do is first upgrade the server to 8.4, then the client. Or
upgrade the client while you're doing your dump/restore to upgrade
from 8.2 to 8.4.