Re: PostgreSQL + 64 bit + performance

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL + 64 bit + performance
Date: 2009-09-15 15:25:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, Sep 14, 2009 at 7:13 PM, David Kerr <dmk(at)mr-paradox(dot)net> wrote:
> My oracle experience tells me that I want to go with 64 bit postgres
> so that i can have faster disk and memory access.

If not faster memory access, but you can get more memory in a 64-bit
address space. My primary DB servers have 24GB of RAM.

Also, the amd 64-bit extensions to the intel instruction set increase
the number of CPU registers which allows for some better code
optimizations and reduced hits on RAM. But that may not be that great
a benefit as it may seem on the surface. I have not benchmarked this.