Re: Asking for assistance in determining storage requirements

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Postgres General Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Asking for assistance in determining storage requirements
Date: 2009-07-09 18:45:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Chris
Barnes<compuguruchrisbarnes(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
> We are curious about using SAN with fiber channel hba and if anyone else
> uses this technology.
>
> We would also like to know if people have preference to the level of raid
> with/out striping.

I used SurfRAID Triton external RAID units connected to Sun X4100
boxes via LSI Fibre Channel cards. I run them as RAID6 plus hot spare
with a total of 16 drives. This is extremely fast and provides for up
to 2 disk failure. The key is to have 1 or 2 gigs of cache on the
RAID units. I also crank up the RAM on the servers to at least 20Gb.