Re: getting a error message when creating temporary table

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Evan Walter <ewalter(at)decisionanalyst(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: getting a error message when creating temporary table
Date: 2014-04-28 22:48:29
Lists: pgsql-admin

Evan Walter <ewalter(at)decisionanalyst(dot)com> writes:
> Not sure what is causing this. When we execute:
> CREATE TEMPORARY TABLE test(test_code varchar (255))

> We get

> ERROR: could not read block 6 in file "global/... " read only 0 of 8192
> bytes

What's the exact filename you omitted there, and which PG version is this?

I'm guessing this indicates corruption of pg_shdepend or one of its
indexes, as that seems like the only shared catalog that's really likely
to get touched during a CREATE TEMP TABLE. If you're lucky, it's one of
the indexes, and a REINDEX will fix it.

Have you had any OS-level crashes lately, power failures, etc? Whatever
is corrupted exactly, this shouldn't have happened if filesystem integrity
was being maintained properly.