Re: [HACKERS] Heads up: does RULES regress test still work for you?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
Cc: chris(dot)bitmead(at)bigfoot(dot)com, hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Heads up: does RULES regress test still work for you?
Date: 1999-05-25 14:37:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

jwieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>> This is so weird, I can't even explain it.

> I can reproduce it - yes totally weird :-)

Is it a bug? It looks to me like a inherited z's view of x (and thus
when you selected from both a and z by using "z*", you got x's contents
twice). Is that wrong? If so, why?

If inheriting from a view is allowed at all (maybe it shouldn't be),
then I'd *expect* the view-ness to be inherited.

Offhand, given that tables and views are different kinds of things,
allowing a table to inherit from a view seems like a bad idea.