Re: OIDs / noOIDs tables?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mathieu Arnold <mat(at)mat(dot)cc>
Cc: Heni Lolov <hal_bg(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: OIDs / noOIDs tables?
Date: 2002-03-12 13:15:27
Lists: pgsql-admin

Mathieu Arnold <mat(at)mat(dot)cc> writes:
> ... there's a bit more info in the 7.2 database now...
> so I believe that without oids give you a bit smaller databases.

OIDs vs. no OIDs makes absolutely *zero* difference in disk space.
The tuple header overhead is the same either way.

(Well, okay, it saves you one pg_attribute row per OID-less table.
Wow...)

The only reason for the no-OIDs feature is to postpone wraparound
of the OID counter.

regards, tom lane

PS: probably your space savings from updating to 7.2 is a transient
result of having rebuilt the indexes.