Re: Porting from MySql - meta data issues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com>
Cc: Geoff Caplan <geoff(at)advantae(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, mail(at)joeconway(dot)com, jeff_eckermann(at)yahoo(dot)com
Subject: Re: Porting from MySql - meta data issues
Date: 2002-04-07 05:49:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)atentus(dot)com> writes:
> You can also use the pg_tables view, for example, and the system
> catalogs for the rest (pg_database, pg_attribute).

> Anyway, there's little use for SHOW queries, as you can always poke into
> the system catalogs. That's something you can't do in MySQL, and is the
> reason for the SHOW hack.

If we actually implement anything new in this line, it will presumably
be the SQL-standard-compliant INFORMATION_SCHEMA views. Although as
far as I can see, those have nothing to recommend them except standards
compliance :-(. "SELECT * FROM INFORMATION_SCHEMA.TABLES" doesn't seem
to have any great advantage over either "\d" or whatever the equivalent
MySQL SHOW command is...