Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>, David Johnston <polobo(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: UNNEST with multiple args, and TABLE with multiple funcs
Date: 2013-12-03 01:56:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> That's how I read it, too. My hypothesis is that the standard adopted TABLE()
> to rubber-stamp Oracle's traditional name for UNNEST().

Hmm ... plausible.

> ... I propose merely changing the syntax to "TABLE FOR ROWS (...)".

Ugh :-(. Verbose and not exactly intuitive, I think. I don't like
any of the other options you listed much better. Still, the idea of
using more than one word might get us out of the bind that a single
word would have to be a fully reserved one.

> ROWS FROM

This one's a little less awful than the rest. What about "ROWS OF"?