Re: how much memory to allot to postgres?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Brian Maguire" <bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: how much memory to allot to postgres?
Date: 2003-01-29 21:17:22
Lists: pgsql-general

"Brian Maguire" <bmaguire(at)vantage(dot)com> writes:
> What is the suggested rule of thumb in allotting memory to postgres on a
> production level transactional database? 1/2, 3/4 ?

I'd go with a few thousand shared_buffers and leave it at that.

You can find plenty of discussion of this issue in the mail list
archives; there's more than one school of thought ...

There are other things to worry about btw; sort_mem and
max_fsm_relations/pages in particular are too small by default.