Re: recovering a control file from a shutdown database....

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jerry Asher <jerry(at)theashergroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recovering a control file from a shutdown database....
Date: 2001-09-06 03:15:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Jerry Asher <jerry(at)theashergroup(dot)com> writes:
> Can anything be done to recover the pg_control file?

I've already been talking to Jerry off-list, and I trust he's managed
to recover his data --- but for the archives, the answer to this is to
hack up contrib/pg_resetxlog to force whatever data you need into the
pg_control file.

It is an *extremely* good idea to back up your whole $PGDATA directory
tree (with tar or some such) before attempting such desperate measures,
so that you can undo any self-inflicted damage if you get it wrong...