Re: pgsql: Avoid having vacuum set reltuples to 0 on non-empty relations in

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andrew Gierth <rhodiumtoad(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Avoid having vacuum set reltuples to 0 on non-empty relations in
Date: 2017-03-17 14:00:17
Lists: pgsql-committers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 03/17/2017 09:30 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
>> In the department of nitpicks, we usually try to write commit messages
>> so that the first line is a summary line which stands alone, and then
>> there's a blank line, and then more follows. a la
>> https://chris.beams.io/posts/git-commit/#separate

> Yeah, In our case email subjects seem to be truncated at 64 chars, so
> it's best to stay under that limit if possible - 50 chars is sometimes
> pretty limiting.

FWIW, I usually try to keep line length in commit messages to <= 75
characters, as that is the wrap boundary in "git log" output. It's
nice if the summary line can be made shorter, but it's often damn
hard to cram an adequate summary into 75 chars, let alone fewer.

(Links to mailing-list threads must ignore the length limit, sadly.)