Re: Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "otisg" <otisg(at)iVillage(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cannot (re)start PostgreSQL
Date: 2002-05-06 04:04:16
Lists: pgsql-admin

"otisg" <otisg(at)iVillage(dot)com> writes:
> Is there a way to get a more verbose error message from PostgreSQL that
> will tell me why I can't start the DB?

I'd venture that your /etc/rc script is preventing Postgres from telling
you anything useful. Try starting PG by hand ... or at the very least,
find out what the script is doing with the postmaster's error output.
There are way too many of those scripts that think routing stderr
to /dev/null is a good idea.