Re: [HACKERS] Bug

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: phd2(at)earthling(dot)net
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Bug
Date: 1999-09-17 14:18:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Broytmann <phd(at)sun(dot)med(dot)ru> writes:
> ran=> create table test1 (n int default nextval('seq_test'), t text);
> ran=> insert into test1 ("t") select distinct src from test_source;
> [ doesn't work right ]

My, that's an interesting case. I think that fits right in with my
remark yesterday that the SELECT inside an INSERT ... SELECT needs
to have a targetlist that's separate from the INSERT's list. As it
stands, we form a targetlist representing the set of values that need
to be inserted into the target table --- and then the DISTINCT pass
runs on those tuples :-(, because there is nothing else for it to
run on.

In short, this is not a trivial thing to fix. We need multilevel
query trees...