Re: Two rules on a view do not like each other :-(

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Two rules on a view do not like each other :-(
Date: 2003-11-23 20:32:52
Lists: pgsql-general

Gaetano Mendola <mendola(at)bigfoot(dot)com> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Yes --- by name.

> Why not implement in SQL standard way ?
> I'm against this alphabetic order firing.

You think order-of-creation has something to recommend it? I don't see
what. It just makes it extremely painful to control the firing order
when you need to --- you end up dropping and recreating all the
triggers, which is a tedious and error-prone approach.

> I's not safe develop a new trigger and completely change
> the trigger firing order. Suppose that I want multiply for
> 2 a field of a table for each insert. What happen if that field
> is manipulated already by another trigger calculating let me say:
> sqrt ?

You can equally easily run into similar problems with creation-order
firing as well. There's no substitute for actually thinking about the
interactions of multiple triggers on the same event...