Re: logfile character encoding

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Redoute <redoute(at)tortenboxer(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: logfile character encoding
Date: 2014-08-16 19:40:49
Lists: pgsql-general

Redoute <redoute(at)tortenboxer(dot)de> writes:
> please help me with this problem: My postgreSQL logfiles generally are
> encoded in UTF-8, but some entries are in Windows-1252. The server
> status in pgAdmin III doesn't cope with this; it is unusable because of
> continuous error popups.

> I found several discussions regarding this issue, e. g.
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAD8_UcbfncTLTPeVcihXGJtGoB5BjfqBH48R3Zor0Y91Ph0hUw@mail.gmail.com
> http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/201012211547.oBLFl3qC019008@wwwmaster.postgresql.org
> but unfortunately I don't understand cause and, if possible, repair.

Individual server sessions will log in their database encoding, but
the postmaster (parent process) will probably log in an encoding
determined by its environment. You need to make sure the postmaster's
environment selects a UTF8 locale. I'm not familiar with how to do
that on Windows, unfortunately.