Re: A questions on planner choices

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Edoardo Panfili <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A questions on planner choices
Date: 2011-08-20 02:28:11
Lists: pgsql-general

Edoardo Panfili <edoardo(at)aspix(dot)it> writes:
> [ poor plan for a Postgis query with ]
> Postgres 8.4.8 with postgis 1.5.3

I think that most of the issue here is poor selectivity estimation for
the Postgis operations, particularly &&. I suggest that you should ask
about this on the postgis mailing lists. They might well tell you to
try a newer release --- they may have improved things since 1.5.3.

> NOTICE: LWGEOM_gist_joinsel called with incorrect join type

You should *definitely* report that to the Postgis guys, because it's a
bug.