Re: GUC vs variable.c (was Patches applied...)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GUC vs variable.c (was Patches applied...)
Date: 2002-04-21 23:57:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> The only thing that I had suggested on occasion was that if nontrivial
> work were to be put into SET DATESTYLE, we might want to consider if a
> certain amount of "cleanup" could be done at the same time. For example,
> the particular date styles have somewhat unfortunate names, as does the
> "european" option. And the parameter could be separated into two. One
> doesn't have to agree with these suggestions, but without them the work is
> sufficiently complicated that no one has gotten around to it yet.

I think you were mainly concerned that we not define two interacting
GUC variables (ie, setting one could have side-effects on the other)?

I don't see any inherent reason that DATESTYLE couldn't be imported into
GUC as-is. The semantics might be uglier than you'd like, but why would
they be any worse than they are now?