Re: Tips performance under solaris

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pejac(at)altern(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Tips performance under solaris
Date: 2001-07-10 14:47:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> So it does I/O directly from the user buffer to disk, bypassing the
> system cache. I am not sure if that is a good idea because you are not
> using the system buffer cache nor is it allowing writes to be re-ordered
> for optimial performance.

... and, more than likely, the user program is blocked for the whole
physical write operation, not just for long enough to memcpy the data
into a kernel buffer. Given that info, I find it completely
unsurprising that this "feature" makes Postgres a lot slower. It seems
that Sun's idea of what a database does has little connection to what
Postgres does.

It might possibly make sense to set this bit on WAL writes, but not on
writes to data files.