Re: inappropriate word 'victim'

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>, devguy(dot)ca(at)gmail(dot)com, "pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: inappropriate word 'victim'
Date: 2017-10-03 23:05:42
Lists: pgsql-docs

"Jonathan S. Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> So there is a precedent for using “target” for this command.

I wouldn't object to substituting "target" for "victim"; they're both
pretty specific, and there's little risk of misunderstanding which
database is meant. I don't know if that amounts to much of an
advance in political correctness, though.

I'm less happy about substituting vaguer words like "subject".
Particularly for non-native English speakers, that seems like it
could be confusing --- eg, if you know the distinction between
subject and object of a sentence, you might think it means the
DB where the command is being issued.