Re: Another postgres 'file not found' error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ian Cass" <ian(dot)cass(at)mblox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Another postgres 'file not found' error
Date: 2002-06-13 20:07:26
Lists: pgsql-sql

"Ian Cass" <ian(dot)cass(at)mblox(dot)com> writes:
> inbound=# update store set state = 0, timestamp = 'now' where timestamp <
> (CURRENT_TIMESTAMP - interval '30 seconds') and accountid = '6';
> ERROR: cannot open segment 1 of relation store_ix1 (target block
> 1576985508): No such file or directory

and later:

> In this instance, simply dropping the index and recreating it solved the
> problem.

Yeah, it would seem that you had a bad tuple pointer in an index entry.
While this might have been induced by a software bug, I do not recall
many (if any) prior reports of such failures, so I'm leaning towards a
hardware glitch having caused it. I'd recommend running some memory and
disk diagnostics ...