Is the database being VACUUMed?

From: "C(dot) Bensend" <benny(at)bennyvision(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is the database being VACUUMed?
Date: 2006-02-10 15:57:17
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hey folks,

I'm running 8.0.4 on OpenBSD, and I'm running into issues where
a large batch job will fire up and occasionally coincide with a
VACUUM. Which then makes this batch take an hour and a half,
rather than the 30 minutes it usually takes. :(

I am going to upgrade to 8.1.2 this weekend, before you ask. :)

Here's the question - is there a query I can make in my scripts
(using perl/DBD::Pg) to see if the database is being VACUUMed at
the current time? I could add a sleep, so the script would
patiently wait for the VACUUM to finish before kicking off several
intense queries.

Thanks much!

Benny

--
"'And you've got 10 gig of files to put through our mail system?' I
ask, squeezing my mouse in a non-approved manner." -- BOFH, 2006-01