Re: How to enable partial matching on a GIN index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Spencer <chrisspen(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to enable partial matching on a GIN index
Date: 2016-01-11 17:58:01
Lists: pgsql-novice

Chris Spencer <chrisspen(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I recently setup a GIN index on a large database, and it's performance is
> spectacular. However, I noticed by default it doesn't allow searching by
> partial matches.

What's your grounds for claiming that?

We recently fixed a bug whereby the planner overestimated the cost of
partial-match index scans, which might discourage it from choosing an
index scan versus other plans, but that's a lot different from "doesn't
allow". In any case, the bug only manifests if you've never vacuumed the
table since creating the index ...