Re: how to set permission, so I can run pg_dumd in a cron job

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: robert rottermann <robert(at)redcor(dot)ch>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to set permission, so I can run pg_dumd in a cron job
Date: 2021-03-13 17:37:33
Lists: pgsql-general

On 3/13/21 9:25 AM, robert rottermann wrote:

> Adrin, thanks
>

>>> can you please give me a hand
>>
>> 1) Did you have the server reload the conf files after making the
>> changes?
> yes I did
>>
>> 2) Is there an entry for something like:
>>
>> local   all     all  peer
>>
>> before the lines you show above?
>
> no
>
> I added the whol pg_conf at the end.
>
> There is one thing particulare with the installation.
>
> I have postgresql 9.5 and 10.0 on the box.
>
> now when I check
>
> pg_dump -V
> pg_dump (PostgreSQL) 9.5.24
>
> root(at)elfero:~# ll /usr/bin/pg_dump
> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 37 Nov 13  2019 /usr/bin/pg_dump ->
> ../share/postgresql-common/pg_wrapper*
>
> when I switch to user postgres, and the us psql, I get the following:
>
> root(at)elfero:~# su postgres
> postgres(at)elfero:/root$ psql -d  elfero
> could not change directory to "/root": Permission denied
> psql (10.16 (Ubuntu 10.16-0ubuntu0.18.04.1), server 9.5.24)
> Type "help" for help.
>
> looks, as if I have a mess with this two instances.
>

> How can I best clean that up.
>
> I need only PostgreSQL 10

From command line what does pg_lsclusters show?

Which pg_hba.conf file did you change? The one in:

/etc/postgresql/9.5/main

or

/etc/postgresql/10/main

To specify a version of pg_dump to use do something like:

pg_dump --cluster 10/main -d some_db -U some_user -p some_port

The important part is the some_port. You will need to use the one
specified for the instance(cluster) as returned by the pg_lscluster command.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com