Re: WAL files keep piling up

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zbigniew Kostrzewa <zkostrzewa(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ninad Shah <nshah(dot)postgres(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL files keep piling up
Date: 2021-12-22 18:18:11
Lists: pgsql-performance

Zbigniew Kostrzewa <zkostrzewa(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks for responding. On current master it looks like so:
> ls pg_xlog/archive_status/ | grep ready | wc -l
> 0
> ls pg_xlog/archive_status/ | grep done | wc -l
> 501

Hmm, if you've got archiving turned off, I wonder why you have
any .done files at all. Perhaps they are leftover from a time
when you did have archiving on, and for some reason they are
confusing the non-archive-mode cleanup logic.

Anyway, you could certainly manually remove the .done files and
the corresponding WAL segment files, and then see what happens.

BTW, I'm sure you realize that 9.6.15 is not exactly current.